Thursday, December 2, 2010

First day of a new begining!

Moving of from somewhere you call "home" is never an easy thing, even if you know its the right move. Hearing the echo of a once warm place is eerie and frightening.  Even taking the bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label didn't make matters any easier. The tears started as I made my last walk around the house. I thought about all memories, good, bad, awkward, and uncomfortable and found it more and more difficult to walk out the front door.  I sat on the steps with my head in my hands and Jill came to give me a quick lick on my face. Maybe she was thirsty or liked the taste of my salty tears, but it gave me the courage to get up and put one foot in front of the other and take that step that would start a new beginning. 

As I got into my car with Jill in the passager seat and the road in front of me I didn't know what to feel. I was exhausted and so was Jill and I looked over to her she was already fast asleep!


Looking at how calm she was helped me to take a deep breath and continuing driving ahead. Once we reached our new place we needed a break and curled up on the couch to watch a movie (Chicago). That was exactly what we needed before unloading the final boxes. Jill of course didn't help much but watched me as I carried everything in.



We are defiantly not settled in but moved in for sure. Walking around our new neighborhood was a breath of fresh air. Seeing the mountains in the background and a friendly face saying "hi" also helped use feel like this could be a "new home". After some Chinese take out and another movie (no cable yet) we curled up for a very cold night. I had no idea how to light the pilot for the heater and it was about 30 degrees last night but having Jill wrapped around my head helped keep me warm.

2 comments:

  1. i'm proud of you, doll. starting over is scary and tough, but you will reach a moment when you look around and realize that you've done something brave and amazing, and that you're totally fine. having the courage to leave the familiar is something not everyone has, and i'm excited for you, because i know that this experience is going to be very empowering. as always, i'm around. to talk about it, to not talk about something else, to not talk at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so sad to read--just very visual. You're a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete